Avengers: Endgame vs Avatar? I’m sure as soon as we saw Avengers: Endgame, we all knew that it was bound to break some kind of world box office record. But did we expect Avengers: Endgame to emerge as the world box office winner? In this great war of 2019 Avengers: Endgame vs Avatar, who is the real winner?
Avengers: Endgame released on 22 April 2019, TEN years after Avatar released on 18 December 2009.
Everyone knows that Endgame beat Avatar at the box office. But how can these two movies which released a decade apart be compared just based on box office records?
- The most important thing that has changed between 2009 and now are ticket prices. It would be safe to say that ticket prices have increased by around $2. This itself gives Avengers: Endgame a huge head start. Here is an interesting analogy of how much Avengers: Endgame would have grossed had it been released in 2009. And how much Avatar would have made if it had been released in 2019. All these figures are with respect to the US.
|Year||Average Price per Ticket||Avengers: Endgame||Avatar|
|2009||$7.50||$711 million||$749.6 million|
|2019||$9.01||$854 million||$891 million|
- The next very important parameter that has changed since 2009, is of course inflation. If we consider the current trends in inflation, and calculate how much Avatar would have made had it released now, we would be shocked as it would have made a whopping $3.2 BILLION. Avengers: Endgame obviously doesn’t stand a chance with the $2.89 billion that it made. Endgame would have been eaten by a difference of about $500 million.
- The most obvious subsequent parameter would be time. Avatar took months to make the money that it did. It’s opening was not as dramatic as the Avengers. No one expected Avatar to create any record based on it’s first week box office collection, much less break all of them. Avengers: Endgame, on the other hand, made $1.5 billion in the first week following its release. It was THE MOVIE of the generation. This proved without a doubt that Marvel had the ability to build so much anticipation all over the world for a movie that was rightly so, going to define an era. And they didn’t do it overnight, they build all this anticipation with years and years of exceptional story writing and cliffhangers and of course, post-credit scenes.
Is Rerelease the trick?
- Avatar released again in August 2010, which added around $34 million to it’s box office total.
- Avengers: Endgame was released again while the first one was still in some theatres. The “bring back” edition promised some post-credit scenes that drew out diehard Marvel fans to the theatres again. And given that Endgame was just $7 million short of reaching Avatar’s record before the rerelease, it is safe to say that it beat Avatar.
Now, which is the better film? Avatar or Avengers: Endgame? Both are movies of two completely different genres. Both appeal to very different fan bases. Which one do you like best? Which one would you definitely watch again? Let us know in the comment section.